St Laurence is a Grade 2* Parish Church dating from the 12th, 13th and 15th centuries, with significant restorations in 1633 and the late 1800s. Notable features include:
- C19 rafter roof
- Jacobean panelling and pulpit
- Fine Hunky Punks on the exterior on the north side
- Norman Font
- C15 Pew ends
- Fine early C20 Karl Parsons stained glass windows
- Significant medieval wall painting on reveal of north window in chancel
- In chancel late C19 painted censing angels either side of seated Christ and also late C19 stencilling and painted foliage on roof.
- Monument to Sir John Newton (died 1568) now in south porch, formerly in church, re-erected 1883. Renaissance style.
Guided Video Tour of the Church
Wild Country Lane Studios. ©2016 Harptrees History Society
Video: About the Karl Parsons Window
A wonderful feature of St Laurence’s is the stained glass window, created by master craftsman Karl Parsons, as a memorial to the fallen of the First World War. It features St Laurence, St George, and St Agnes, with beautiful cameos below. This recording shows an illustrated talk about the window and its maker, from Peter Cormack, a noted scholar of 19th and 20th century British and American stained glass, William Morris and the Arts and Crafts movement.
Click here to download a Statement of Significance prepared by our Heritage Assessor Kevin Brown.
Click here for a document about the Newton monument, written and researched by Gill Hogarth.
You can also read the full Pevesner description of the building at historicengland.org.uk